You are here
Teach youth about safety and disaster preparedness--become a Pillowcase Project Presenter
Love kids? Looking for hands-on teaching experience to build or maintain your skill set? Passionate about saving lives and preventing tragedy? This volunteer opportunity combines kids, teaching, empowerment and an evidence-based disaster preparedness curriculum. Sign up today to become a Pillowcase Project Presenter to give safety training to youth and children!
Please note that there's no set, recurring location, as you will get the training you need first, then present the curriculum in different school classrooms, Sunday school rooms, libraries, Scout groups and other locations--wherever the Red Cross is invited to provide this valuable program.
This is a national youth preparedness program being offered in Red Cross regions across the country. Using carefully assessed curriculum tools, the one-hour presentation provides emergency preparedness education to youth in grades 3-5 in school and extracurricular settings. A highly interactive presentation, the program addresses home fire safety, a local natural hazard, psychosocial coping skills, and household steps to preparedness, like making a plan and making a kit.
• Lead and assist with Pillowcase Project presentations given to youth (3rd-5th grade) in schools and other community settings.
• Successfully complete all required training to prepare for presentations (approx. 8 hours)
• Conduct community outreach to schedule presentations at sites.
• Mentor new presenters to build a team of experienced youth preparedness presenters.
• Ensure that all reporting data is collected and given to regional staff for each presentation given.
- Online and inperson training for the Pillowcase program (approximately 8 hours)
- Approximately a 2 hour commitment per presentation (1 hour presentation plus time for set-up, clean-up, grading quizzes, and reporting), not including commute time to presentation site.
- Community outreach time spent varies
We provide the training you need to qualify, free of charge and mostly on your own schedule.
We would love to welcome you to the team of dedicated volunteers in our Central Illinois Chapter.