You are here
Law Student Volunteer at The Immigration Project
Assist attorneys with case research and writing documents, increasing our capacity to serve clients from all over the state.
- Conducting legal research
- Developing statements
- Drafting briefs
- Locating information in FOIA request records
- Other tasks as needed for cases
- Currently studying law
- Comfortable with legal writing and analysis
- Comfortable with legal research tools and methodologies
- Respectful of client confidentiality
- Can interact well with people from many different cultures and backgrounds
- Prompt, organized, and mindful of deadlines
Time will vary based on the case, the assignment, your availability, and how quickly you work. At minimum, you should be willing to commit to working at least a couple hours per week over the course of several months.
Our office is located at 505 W. University Avenue, Suite 214, Champaign, IL. While you will likely have to visit the office on occasion, much of the work can be done remotely.
This position is directly supervised by the Volunteer Coordinator. You will also be working closely with the attorneys, and will receive guidance from them on case work.
- The opportunity to develop your writing and research skills while working on real cases
- Hands-on experience in the field of immigration law
- A chance to help immigrants in the Champaign community and throughout down-state Illinois
Please apply using this form: https://goo.gl/forms/b3oLMzUCVwXJXWA62
If you do not have a Google account or are otherwise having difficulties accessing the form, you can download a PDF version here.
You can email your application or any questions regarding the position to the Champaign volunteer coordinator, Nat Bauer, at email@example.com.