You are here
Interpreter / Translator
About Us: The Immigration Project is the only non-profit organization south of I-80 (near Chicago) with full-time immigration attorneys providing low-cost legal services to immigrants in the State of Illinois. Our organization relies heavily on assistance from volunteers in all aspects of our work, including case assistance, outreach work, and administrative tasks, to serve the counties in downstate and central Illinois. Please feel free to visit our website at http://www.immigrationproject.org/.
Purpose: The Immigration Project Champaign Office is actively seeking an individual to assist with translation and interpretation in both spoken and written forms. The translation of documents and interpretation for immigrant clients allows our team to serve the immigrant population of central Illinois much more efficiently and effectively. Thus, the volunteer will be an integral part of our organization.
Location: The Volunteer will come to The Immigration Project – Champaign Office in Ste. 204/214 at 505 W. University Avenue in Champaign. There will also be opportunities to have some tasks completed working from home.
- Assisting with translation of documents and performing reviews of already translated material.
- Interpreting for Staff and volunteers in meetings with clients
- Assisting the Volunteer and Development Coordinator VISTA with translation of materials and/or live translation during presentations given to the community
- Other duties as assigned.
The Length of Appointment: The work of the interpreter/translator will be year around.
Time Commitment: Volunteers usually work on tasks for about 2-5 hours a week and come in once or twice a week. This can vary depending on events, number of materials needing to be translated, and other factors.
- Fluency in reading, writing and speaking of Spanish. Fluency in other languages may also be considered (in particular French).
- Ability to complete tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to speak in public and assist with presentations.
- Quick responsiveness over e-mail and text/calls about tasks being completed and requests for availability.
Support: The Volunteer and Development Coordinator VISTA is available for questions or assistance with most aspects of the position. The legal staff is generally available for questions, and will give specific details as to how to complete assigned tasks.
Dress Code: Business Casual
How to Apply:
If interested, please submit a volunteer application online or fill out an application form and email it to Nat Bauer at email@example.com. Please do not call us or come to the office in person!