Non-profit organizations may use CUVolunteer to post volunteer opportunities, including organizations focused on human needs, the arts, the environment, etc. For-profit organizations can post volunteer opportunities that clearly benefit local non-profit organizations and/or the community.
CUVolunteer can also be used to encourage attendance and/or raise awareness of local events that benefit local non-profit organizations and/or the community, even if the event requires a donation or charges an entrance fee. Posted opportunities should be open to all members of the community.
General fundraising is an inappropriate use of the site, other than local benefit events. Political organizations are not permitted to use CUVolunteer. Religious organizations can use CUVolunteer assuming the volunteer opportunities are available to all members of the community.
The following criteria will be used to determine an organization’s fitness for inclusion on CUVolunteer:
- Must not discriminate against any class or group. In particular:
- Must be in full compliance with all federal and state nondiscrimination and equal opportunity laws, orders and regulations.
- Must not practice discrimination against a member or prospective member on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, political affiliation, age, marital status, handicap, unfavorable discharge from the military or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era, except as specifically exempted by law.
- Nonprofits must fit the definition of a type of 501(c) organization, even if the group/organization is not officially incorporated. For profits can use the site for events that benefit a nonprofit that meets this definition or the community.
- Must not fit the definition of a 527 organization. This includes groups like PACs, Super PACs, and other politically-oriented groups aligned with or against a particular candidate or party.
CUVolunteer reserves the right to refuse and/or remove a volunteer posting or an organization registration. By registering with CUVolunteer, the user and organization for which he/she is an agent implicitly agree to the terms and conditions of the site.
By registering with CUVolunteer, you implicitly agree to the terms and conditions of the site, including the following:
- You understand that the University of Illinois and CUVolunteer partners do not endorse or agree to review the volunteer opportunities posted to the site;
- You understand that you volunteer at your own risk and agree to hold harmless the University of Illinois and any and all CUVolunteer partners;
- If you are a minor, by registering with CUVolunteer, you acknowledge that you have the consent of your parent(s) and/or guardian to register and to participate in any volunteer opportunities that you register for through the site.
- If you are under 13, you are not able to register on CUVolunteer because non-profit organizations require the consent of a parent or guardian for you to volunteer. Please ask your parent or guardian to register on your behalf (using their birthdate), and be sure to check with the organization to ensure that volunteers under 13 are eligible to register.